BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Welcome To MissDemet's Makeup Mayhem!

Welcome to my new makeup blog! This is officially my first post.
I’ve started quite a few makeup blogs, but they all lacked one thing: focus. I would start them and never continue. So, this time it’s different. This blog is more like a portfolio, something I can track and chart my progress.

So, who am I, you ask?

I am Lea Wright, a 19 year old female from Canada. I am enrolled in cosmetology school, starting in a few weeks (as of writing this). I am studying makeup artistry and aromatherapy.
I’m a makeup junkie, especially MAC cosmetics. Most of what I use is MAC. I don’t know what I’d do if my cousin hadn’t introduced me to the brand. She did Irish dancing, and MAC is the only brand of makeup they used, because it wouldn’t sweat off. I started with Black Tied eye shadow, Frankly Scarlet blush, and clear lip glass. Now, my collection has grown, including all sorts of brands, products and tools. They are all housed in a black armoire I got at Ikea.

Aside from makeup, I also like to write, watch movies, learn about history and I love to dance. My hobbies include blogging, writing, photo-manipulation in Photoshop, watching sci-fi, and of course makeup.

My history with makeup is actually quite strange.

By the age of eight, I wanted to be a Goth. I knew back then I would become a stereotype. When I was younger, and still today, I liked Disney villains instead of princesses, had sympathy for the “bad guy” and enjoyed the darker side of life. I never was “bad”, quite the opposite, but that didn’t mean I didn’t like the fun side of “Goth” or “Villain”.

I also knew I would require makeup.

The first time I used makeup was at the age of twelve. It was for an eighth-grade presentation. We had to be a celebrity, dress up like one, and give a report on said celebrity. I hoodwinked my mother into getting me an almost flesh-toned eye shadow. I adored it. I started collecting cheap, drugstore and “children’s” makeup. It was nearly transparent, faded easily and made me look like a child who got into her mother’s bedside table.

I started high school in 2004. I made new friends, barely passed French, and had my first high school crush. I had begun to do research into local Goth and alt stores. There were two. My father agreed to take me on a Saturday.

The first, The Other Five Toes, housed everything I could ever want, including a Goth Kit, which I purchased. It had the white face powder, white cover-up, white lipstick, and black nail polish. I was set. I began building my collection of chains, black clothing and Marilyn Manson.

My makeup skills were weak, and often I looked like, in the words of my cousin, “a fucking clown”.

The second, Delirium, had clothing I liked, but it didn’t run in my size. I got many accessories there, such as my bat and coffin purses.

Over the months, my skills improved. Slightly. Still, I was an amateur.

In grade eleven, I ceased wearing white face powder to school. I retained it for special occasions, and when I was to visit my father’s family. My skills in makeup were weak, and I regularly looked like a raccoon. However, I had found a passion. I liked makeup. I liked playing with it. Playing was the right word, I didn’t have the skill to be considered anything other than a child finger-painting. I still tired to get better. Gradually, I improved.

To this day, I still consider myself an amateur.


Makeup application is a skill. An art form, taking years of practise, honing and passion. You need talent, of course. But you can learn proper techniques. You don’t have to be an artist to be a makeup artist. You have to identify weaknesses, and strengths. Personally, I have a hard time getting things symmetrical, ultra-thin eyeliner application, and blending. My strengths are colour theory, and lip colour application-especially with a brush.

It’s all a matter of learning the proper techniques, practising them on yourself and others, and experimenting.

With makeup, you can’t be afraid to make mistakes. You can’t be afraid to try new things. You can’t be afraid.

Yes, you will fuck up. And yes, you will hate a good chunk of your work, hours, days, years down the road. Without the hate, you can’t improve. I used to apply eye liner in thick, harsh, black lines under my lashes. It was half an inch wide, easily. I realized I wanted to have thinner liner. I tried putting it on my waterline. It stung, and felt weird, but I got used to it. Now, on my bottom waterline, I can line with ease. It took almost a year to master, but now I don’t hate my bottom liner.


The internet is probably the best tool. From here, you can access every cosmetics company, download face charts and model-images of makeup. YouTube has a huge selection of makeup related videos for you to watch, and a simple Google search for “makeup blog” will bring you hundreds of hits. Reviews, FOTDs (Face Of The Day), tutorials, everything.

I learned so much from these bloggers


Makeup is an art. A passion. A skill.